When you post your assessment up!!

Please include your name, the movie and your ID number in the title! Also, please use the LABELS section for the post.

E.g. for title:
Mia - 4030 - Lost in Translation

E.g. for labels:
Lost in Translation, loneliness, analysis

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Mia - 2982 - Tetsuya Nakashima


When I was thinking about which director is my favourite, many names come to my mind: David Fincher, Sam Mendes, Guy Ritchie, Tim Burton... However, I suddenly thought of a Japanese director Tetsuya Nakashima's fabulous film Memories of Matsuko(2006), then I finally realized he is my favourite director.

Tetsuya Nakashima(born 1959) is an excellent director and writer. He used to direct advertisements when he was not a film director, I think that's why his films are very colourful, with rich imagination and powerful creativity. In his best film Memories of Matsuko(2006), he represented a story of tragedy in a totally comedic style, with bright colours and brisk tempo. Moreover, he used around 400 CG scenes and over 70 pieces of music in this film. One side is gorgeous colourful scenes, the other is pain and helplessness life, when Matsuko ended her tragic life and died alone by the cold riverside, it creates a sharp contrast. Despite the dark side, inconceivably, the tone of the film is still positive. That's really a perfect combination of pessimism and optimism. Overall, I think Tetsuya Nakashima is absolutely a genius, all these amazing elements make his films so unique.


I strongly recommend Memories of Matsuko(2006) and Kamikaze Girls (2004) for those who haven't seen Tetsuya Nakashima's films. You will be shocked by his unique style and find that he is a great director that was ignored.

No comments:

Post a Comment